Parsley is a tropical plant which needs both moist and good amount of sunlight to grow. It has an origin of Mediterranean region of southern Italy, Algeria, and Tunisia and was actually regarded much as a medicine (herb) than it is regarded as food. Parsley which is known as Petroselinum Hortense and Petroselinum crispum scientifically has been in existence for over 2000 years but is slowly getting it place and popularity as a supper food only recently as it is no longer seen as only herb but as a spice and a food generally. Parsley is endowed with so many nutrients that are very beneficial to the body. Some of parsley health benefits includes:
- Fight against diabetes: parsley contains myricetin which has been shown my research to be able to decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes. Also, parsley has been used traditionally by Turkey to manage and prevent diabetes.
- Fight against Osteoporosis: healthy bone is as important as every other health of the body. When there is a decrease in calcium level in the body, it tends to affect the bones and by so going may bring about osteoporosis. Parsley is one of the best sources of calcium and other nutrients like homocysteine amino acid and vitamin K which the bone needs for its health.
- Immune booster: parsley is an incredible immune booster as it contains great amount of nutrients which the body needs to boost it immunity. Parsley is an antioxidant and contains much vitamin (vitamin A, C and K) and minerals. Parsley can serve as an antibiotics and as an antifungal and this is why it is considered as herb.
- Reduction of cancer risk: parsley is an antioxidant which make it able to destroy free radicals which can cause tumour in the body and also it can inhibit the growth of cancerous cells in the body. Parsley can also lower the risk of cancer because of various compounds found in them like carnosol, flavonoids and apigenin.
- Handles inflammation: parsley contains quercetin which is an antioxidant and vitamin C which helps it to fight inflammation and makes it one of the best natural remedy for inflammation.
- Aids digestion: parsley contains many nutrients which aids in digestion such as fibre, herb’s laxative and diuretic properties. Indigestion, constipation, flatulence and colic; all can be handled with parsley.
Aside its health benefits, parsley is also effective in other part of human care like the hair and skin care. Because of the high content of vitamin C and its ability to stimulate the production of collagen in the skin, parsley in able to handle skin wrinkles, improve wounds healing and remove scars. Also, parsley is able to improve hair growth and maintain hair colour and texture because of the presence of copper and other nutrients.
Adding parsley to your meal either as a food itself, or as a specie will help improve and maintain your good health while giving you a very great taste in your meal.