Asparagus is a high priced food in many countries like Egypt, roman, Spain, Syria and east Europe. Asparagus is eaten as a vegetable and may be served as a desert. This vegetable might be said to have a Greek history of over 300BC as it name “asparagus” was driven from a Greek word which means “shout or sprout”. The food is also seen as medicine perhaps because of the great nutrients it possesses. Asparagus is a great source of many nutrients like fibre, folate, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin C, thiamine, iron, calcium, manganese and chromium among others. This nutrients ensures it health benefits which includes:
- Good for pregnancy: asparagus contains good amount of folates which are very good for pregnancy as they the danger of low defects and low birth weight during pregnancy; they also see to the healthy growth of the foetus. Eating asparagus while pregnant also helps to reduce the chances of miscarriage and other pregnancy complications.
- Enhances fertility: conception has been a great challenge faced by a lot of couple in our world today, many people are actually seeking to have kids and have done that for a very long time and yet no positive result. Asparagus has aphrodisiac properties which is essential in regulating hormones. It also helps in improving the sperm count, boosting libido and curing sexual disorders in both male and female. Research has also shown that the consumption of asparagus has a way of improving the production of breast milk in mothers.
- Helps fight cancer: asparagus is not just a vegetable and a food but also a great antioxidant. It contains sulfur, glutathione and folates which helps in fighting the free radicals in the body. Studies has shown that the free radicals in the body contributes greatly to the growth and development of cancer cells in the body. When you eat more of asparagus, the development and spread of cancer cells will be inhibited as it fights the free radicals and keeps the internal organs healthy.
- Treating urinary tract infections: asparagus contains overly 90% water which provides it anti-urolithiatic effect also as a result of the presence of vitamin C and E. This means that asparagus has the ability to help flush out toxins from the system through adequate and frequent urination.
- Skin care: having and maintaining a glowing and shiny skin is one of our major concern in skin care; asparagus contains good nutrients which helps us achieve that. The presence of niacin in asparagus helps to clear acne, the presence of copper in asparagus helps in the formation of collagen in the skin, vitamin C and E contain helps to heal wounds faster and treat sunburn. Eating asparagus has the ability to reduce ageing effect on the skin and reduce skin irritation and inflammation.