Flaxseed though has been in existence some 3000 BC but its importance is only being recognised and acknowledge recently. Flaxseed has been said to have originated in Babylon where King Charlemagne having considered it beneficial to his people advise them to be eating it. This day, flaxseed has gone global and over 800 flaxseed – based products are all over the globe.
Flaxseed is amazingly packed with great nutrients like omega-3, fibre and lignans little wonder it has made it way as one of the world wonder foods. Flaxseed recently can now be processed and eaten in various forms like seeds, powder, capsules, oil, and flour and so on. As of the time of this article, flaxseed has not been proven to have successful cured any disease but its nutrients has been associated to the reduction in the risk some disease and can be a preventive food for some this diseases and this is what gives the food its health benefits. Some of flaxseed health benefits includes:
- Cancer protection: flaxseed has been associated with the prevention and management of breast cancer, colon cancer and prostate cancers because of its high content of omega-3 fatty acid which helps to inhibit the growth and even the incident of tumour in the body. Also, flaxseed contains lignans which has antiangiogenic properties that helps to stop tumours from developing new blood vessels thereby stopping its spread. The omega-3 contain in flaxseed is bigger than that of other plants and its lignans is about 800 times more than that of other plants and this makes flaxseed the best source for this nutrients.
- Improves brain health: alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is that particular type of omega-3 which the brain needs and deficiency in this nutrient can result in brain “deformations” which may include an induces minor cerebral dysfunctions. Flaxseed is very high in this nutrient and that makes it the best source of it.
- Reduces the risk of liver problem: lignans found in flaxseed cannot be compared with the ones found in any other plant; this makes the seed very effective in the prevention and management of liver problems. So if you like alcohol, making flaxseed your meal will help you a lot with the risk of liver problems.
- Aids in digestion and handles constipation: flaxseed are very rich in soluble and insoluble dietary fibre which enhances bowl movement. When there is a regular and proper bowl movement, there will not be any case of constipation and indigestion.
- Protects against radiation: most time we undergo a lot of radiation therapy and this radiation has its own adverse effect to the body. Lignans found in flaxseed has been associated with the reduction of this adverse radiation effect.
Flaxseed has gained its stake in the wonder food rank basically because of this three nutrients: Omega-3 fatty acid, Lignan and Fibre. This three nutrient which it contains in a very high quantify has been very essential in managing and preventing many illnesses and diseases in the world today.